We are taking part in the national Clean for the Queen initiative between Friday 4 and Sunday 6 March.
This is a campaign to clear up Britain in time for Her Majesty the Queen’s 90th birthday, which will be officially celebrated in June 2016.
There will be litter picks and clean ups across the district that you can get involved in. You can also set your own event up. If you do, make sure you let us know so that we can offer support and help publicise it.
Serco staff will be supporting the local events listed below and will provide vehicles to take away rubbish and recycling collected.
Local events that we are aware of so far are:
- Friday 4 March – litter pick in the Westgate Gardens, Canterbury, between 10.30am and 2pm.
- Friday 4 March – litter pick at Spring Lane. Meet at the neighbourhood centre at 10am. Refreshments will be served afterwards.
- Friday 4 March – litter pick around Tyler Hill. Meet at 10am at Tyler Hill Memorial Hall. Refreshments will be served afterwards.
- Saturday 5 March – litter pick in Barham. Meet at 11am at the village hall. Refreshments will be served afterwards.
- Saturday 5 March – litter pick at Kingsmead Field organised by the Friends of Kingsmead Field. Meet at 10.30am at the car park. Event to last an hour, followed by cakes and refreshments at the end.
- Sunday 6 March – coastal litter pick. Meet at Herne Bay Pier at 2pm.
In addition, our toilets contractor Ocean will be out and about on the coast on Friday 4 March cleaning all the Jubilee signs in Herne Bay and Whitstable, as well as tackling any graffiti they see and cleaning dog and litter bins.
If you’re planning any activities for Clean for the Queen, please contact our Environmental Promotions Officer Alexandra Roy on 01227 862 253. We may be able to offer you litter pickers, bags and collection, as well as some promotion of what you’re up to.